Saturday, January 16, 2010

On the Road Again

Oh but folks lately I have been spotted
with a Big Mac in my breath
stumblin into a Colonel Sanders
with a face as white as death
-- Junk Food Junkie

I'm back in Los Angeles on my way to meetings in NY. Stopped in LA to attend a memorial service for Dave Smith, a very close family friend who died just short of 75 years of age two weeks ago. His children, Margi, Janet Anne, and Ted were as close as brothers and sisters to me. His wife, Georgette, who passed in 1991, was incredibly smart and may well have had the best sense of humor of anybody I've ever known (with the possible exception of Cade). The good memories of Easter Sunday breakfasts, camping at Doheny every summer, and going to Big Bear every Christmas were warm and overwhelming.

On a side note, this trip has allowed me to be reacquainted with So Cal fast food -- which is the tastiest fast food in the world (probably the most deadly as well). Being away from it only makes me crave it more -- Famous Star, Double Double, Jack-in-the-Box Tacos, and the rest -- it is all so good and so bad. I know I should be loving Thai food, but I'm not. I am, however, resolved to eat one new Thai item each time I go back home. I am so picky, but I've got to adjust in order to take full advantage of my new surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment