Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Once in a lifetime

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house...with a beautiful wife
And you may ask yourself, "Well ... how did I get here?"

--Talking Heads

Well, this has been an incredible first week. Started with 15 hour flight from NY to Hong Kong. After a two hour layover, a three hour flight to Bangkok, another four hour layover (albeit with a shower and a change of clothes) and another hour flight to Khon Kaen and a two hour drive to Kalasin. Sounds like hell? Pretty close. Then a two day frolic of eating, drinking, and singing Karoake. And I was pretty much limited to an observer for all three.

In Thailand, New Years is a time for family to get together and when everyone in the village is some sort of relative it means I was introduced to a LOT of cousins. That's what happens when the family moves to the village 500 years ago. But I did get to spend some more time with Moht's Uncle. He is her father's younger brother and a guard at the city jail. He once had the worst day (without involving death) that I have other heard of, but that is for another blog entry.

At her Uncle's farm, I took a tour of his house, two fish ponds, and rise fields. The farm is about 50 feet wide and three hundred yards long. Welcome to Thailand. We played a Thai form of Bocce Ball and I did pretty good for my first time. The weekend concluded with a 14 hour drive (usually about 5 hours...guess there were a LOT of cousins heading back to the big city after a weekend at the village) to Bangkok.

I think I'm going to like it here.








No comments:

Post a Comment