Wednesday, September 16, 2009

And so it begins

I'm on the verge of heading off to a new adventure so I thought I'd write down experiences and feelings as I transition to a new life in a new place with my Thai family.  I'm very excited, but not without some trepidation.  I have a need to be in control and I want to fix all the problems of those I love.  When I move, I'll be thousands of miles and hours in time away from my family here in the US.  John, whose wife is sick; Joseph, who's starting a family; Cade, who who probably needs less help and more consequence; and Claire, who seems so independent and yet has difficulty cutting ties.  

The reality is that most problems will be solved with or without me and it's probably more than a little arrogant to believe I can have that much impact.  For the last quarter of a century my sense of self has revolved around my children and maybe now that they have reached adulthood, it's time to rediscover myself.  

The plan is to move to Thailand in November, but it's already mid-September and the wheels at Pepsi move a their own pace.  HR wants a better understanding of what I'll be doing in Asia.  I resent their questions.  They take no interest in what we do unless it means they have to do any work, then they become the high lord protectors of the company.  Just let us do our jobs and be support instead of trying to lead from the rear.  Grrrr.

I'll be in Thailand in October as part of larger trip.  I'm leaving October 3 for Ireland for meetings regarding Singapore and procurement.  Then on to Cairo on the 7th to review some transfer pricing exposure issues.  I leave for Bangkok on the 10th and will meet up with Moht and Bet for a few days to do some initial apartment and school hunting.  I'll transact some business there with R&D folks and maybe take a day trip to Malaysia for some initial meetings with advisors.  Then on the 19th I'll leave for Shanghai to conduct some more R&D interviews.  On to LA where I hope to pick up a playoff game or two.  Then back to NY on the 26th.  

Man plans and God laughs.  So much is still out of my control.  I haven't received an offer sheet from HR yet, so U can't even tell my landlord I'm bailing.  I keep telling myself to have patience, but it is so wearing thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment