Thursday, September 17, 2009

Corporate Transgressions

If you are going to sin, sin against God, not the bureaucracy. God will forgive you but the bureaucracy won't. -- Hyman Rickover
Dealing with what seems to be the turtle slow pain of PepsiCo bureaucracy can be very frustrating at times.  I waited over a week, calling every day for HR to get back to me.  I need some sense of timing so I can move this thing forward.  Today, I sat down with Annette, my HR generalist to go over the details necessary for the move.  She was actually quite nice and seemed helpful.

If I seem qualified it is because in 20 years of dealing with the corporate world I have dealt with exactly ONE HR person who was honest with me.  I don't know what it is with those guys (and gals).  Maybe everyone lies, but my experience is that these guys do it straight faced even if they don't have to.  They'll lie just about anything and with a very sincere and kind smile.  A bit of advice to the naive -- NEVER sit down and have a friendly chat with someone from HR.  It will wind up in a file somewhere and the good stuff never seems to benefit you, but the bad stuff will haunt you forever,  Maybe I've been really unlucky.  Anyway, Annette may be the second honest helpful HR person I've dealt with, but I just met her so time will tell.  

Everything still seems to be on track for a November move, but now it's maybe later in November, possibly early December.  I need to clarify my job description so as to facilitate the offer sheet from ... Compensation & Benefits.  Comp & Ben are the truly evil part of HR.  Even the HR guys are afraid of them.  I wonder what the Thai HR guys are like.  I could definitely see them not being completely forthcoming in order to avoid conflict or to save face.  Maybe this entire 20 year experience was to help prepare me for Thailand.  Ha!  Guess I'll find out soon.  All of this  has to be blessed by the Thai office HR.  Shouldn't be a problem, they won't be paying for me and I won't be reporting to anyone out there.  I just need an office and a phone (which corporate pays for as well).  I met him a couple of months ago, he seemed nice (he also wasn't Thai, an expat from India.

As much as I may rail against them here, in person, I am smiling and cooperative.  I used to be forthright and up front with them, but Rickover was right, they never forgive.  While they can't fire you or hold back your career if your boss is in your corner (and my boss is GREAT), they can make your and her life miserable.  I can handle the pain, but I refuse to put her through it.  She's been great to me, and I owe at least that much.  So, today I'll write up the description and try to keep the process moving forward.  LOS here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment