Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Serpent in the Garden

Last week Moht, my wife, related an incident that happened at our house located in a farming village outside Kalasin. She had gone fishing in the rice fields and while she was away, the pack of dogs that routinely roam the village were loudly barking outside the house (four of those dogs are hers). These mongrel dogs roam the streets of just about every town and village in Thailand that I've been to. I've always found the dogs top be a bit mangy and off-putting. When her father went to investigate he discovered a snake about two and half feet long.

"What kind of snake?" I asked.

"You know honey, the kind that get a big throat when they get angry."

Yes, I know that kind. Cobras in the garden are not something that suburban boys from California are used to. It's not that I'm afraid of snakes. Growing up in south Orange County, we used to hunt for rattlesnakes in fields surrounding our neighborhood. But cobras are exotic and at least seem more deadly. I can say one thing for certain, I am now a big fan of the wandering dogs.

Today she informed me that two more small cobras were found and dispatched this week. One, outside under the air conditioner, the other in our bedroom. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm psychologically ready for this.

Ready or not, I'm committed (my brother believes I should be committed). At least I'll have two or three years in Bangkok before moving permanently to the farm country. I asked for adventure and you know what they say...be careful what you ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment